Friday, March 23, 2012

The Big Letdown

One of my biggest hobbies is something that started almost four years ago on that dreadful day that my doctor told me I would not be eating gluten or eggs anymore.  This hobby is reading the ingredient list on all foods that I buy.  Sounds fun right?

It is really not as much fun as it sounds.  Yet I have gotten pretty good at skimming through labels to determine whether or not I should actually be eating it. 

It is the reading of the ingredients that usually leads to the big letdown.  I enter the “gluten-free” section of the grocery store and things are plastered with labels letting everyone know they are safe.  That is when I discovery that yes it is gluten-free but there are eggs right there teasing me. 

I was let down once again this week.  A classmate let me know that the website TeamBuy was offering gluten-free products at roughly half price.  I was excited about this until I started to read the ingredients.  Everything they offered contained egg and I was disappointed once again. 

Gluten-free products have become easier and easier to find as it becomes more common to be on a gluten-free diet.  I am very grateful that it is easier to find.  I just wish that more people would switch to an egg-free diet as well so those foods become easier to find.  Is that really too much to ask? 

No comments:

Post a Comment